The House of Mangaldas Girdhardas (MG for short) was the home of Mr. Mangaldas Girdhardas - amongst Ahmedabad's foremost businessmen and philanthropist of the early 20th century. He started his career as a store-keeper in a textile mill. Within a decade, he became its owner and soon after, he was over seeing an empire comprising of a clutch of mills and other related businesses. With his increasing influence in the community, he decided to build a new residence for himself and his family in the year 1924, across from the famous Sidi Saiyed Mosque. He died soon after in 1928. By 1950, his entire family moved to another location, leaving this house vacant. A large portion of the house was riveted out and the rest was used by the accounts offices of the family. In 1994, the House of MG was taken over by Victoria Capital Ventures Ltd., a company managed by Abhay Mangaldas, great grandson of MG, for renovation and reuse. One half of the house, to the North belonged to his brother, Chimanlal Girdhardas and was bought by the Mangaldas family in 2006. It will open as a hotel in 2014.
Spread over a 5500 square yards, the building has a built up an area of approximately 80,000 square feet. Its architecture is a confluence of different styles. An ornamental façade with a Baroque influence, Italian mosaic and marble flooring, stained glass windows, courtyards and passages spread over multiple levels with asymmetric rooms. It is a building with surprises around every corner. The aim of the project is to adaptively reuse the spaces to cater to a modern lifestyle without losing either the historical perspective or the traditional customs of a Gujarati home.
Facilities: Eighteen rooms & suites, Lotus Pound Swimming pool & health club. Two restaurants Agashiye – for fine Gujarati thali dining & The Green House for mixed cuisine, fresh juices & ice creams. Local Artisan for gifts and Agahiye Lounge & Garden for banquet & conferences.
Additional twenty more rooms, a salon, a new gift shop, a health food bar, a health club, a textile gallery and a book shop are scheduled to open by December 2014.